This resource guide is for: Entrepreneurs, founders and software developers undertaking new software development projects at their startups. The goal is to guide entrepreneurs through the complex software development process, providing them with the tools and knowledge necessary for them to successfully manage their projects and get them to market faster and cheaper.
Written by: Alex Senson, Ashley Burton, Tyler Boulanger
Welcome to Altitude Accelerator’s detailed resource guide on topics related to software development for startups. Below, you’ll find an index of all of the articles within this topic area. You can choose where to start based on the current stage of your venture, your most pressing needs, or topics of specific interest.
We start with a section on how to get software developed and explain all the different options for putting together a team or starting development yourself. We then discuss the best ways to communicate with an manage these teams. After this we get into the basics of more technical topics, giving startup founders a base of knowledge they can use to manage their projects better, and get a minimum viable product (MVP) finished efficiently. Finally, we discuss more specialized areas of software development such as life science, video games, and emerging technologies.
Section 1: How to Make Software Products: Six Options for Startups
This first series of articles on software development for startups details different options entrepreneurs have for either finding and sourcing developers, technical cofounders, business cofounders or learning to create their initial product concept themselves
- Summary Article: How to Make Software Products: Six Options for Startups
- How to find a technical cofounder for your startup
- Finding a Sales and Marketing Cofounder for Software Startups
- Outsourcing Software Development: Choosing a Company
- How to Hire Freelancers for Software Development
- Software Developer Internship for Engineering Students at Startups
- How to Build Software Yourself – A Lean Startup Guide
Section 2: Software Development Communication Essentials for Startups
Next, we delve into effective communication strategies to use between technical and non-technical team members. It’s important that startup founders understand the language, key terms and concepts from both sides. It also helps if the development team is well versed on the way business focused people prefer to communicate.
- Summary Article: Software Development Communication Essentials for Startups
- Software Outsourcing: Communicating with the Developers
- Technical Communication Skills for Software Startups
- Business Communication Skills for Engineers at Startups
Section 3: How to Create Software: Development Techniques to Learn
This section describes more technical and practical aspects of software development for startups. Before pulling the trigger and starting development, it would be wise to understand some of the technical aspects of the development process. Founders will then be better prepared in managing developers, making informed strategic development decisions, and choosing the correct path forward for their unique product. Getting it right on the first try will save a lot of time and money.
- Summary Article: How to Create Software: Development Techniques to Learn
- Agile Software Development Methodologies: Which to Choose?
- Software Architecture & Software Design Patterns for Startups
- Coding Basics & Best Programming Language for Startups
- How to Wireframe: Wireframe Tools for Startups
- User Experience Design: UX and UI for Startups
- Software Product Development Challenges: How to Avoid
- User Feedback: How to Perform Usability Testing
- AI for Startups: How to Use AI in your Software
- Cloud Server Hosting Providers for Startups: Who to Choose?
Section 4: Tips for Mobile App Development at Your Software Startup
- Summary Article: Tips for Mobile App Development at Your Software Startup
- Which Operating System Is Best for Your Startup’s Mobile App
- Should Your Software Startup Join the Move to Progressive Web Apps
Section 5: Software Development for the Life Science Industry
- Summary Article: Software Development for the Life Sciences Industry
- Understanding and Navigating Life Science Software Regulations
- Designing Software or the Life Science Industry