Bring your idea to life!
ICUBE at the University of Toronto Mississauga works with change-makers from all backgrounds and industries to help turn your big ideas into reality. They offer the resources and teach the skills you need in order to map out a sustainable business or organization. Whether you have been building an invention, dreaming of starting a non-profit, or see a nagging problem that you know you could fix – this program will help you make it happen.
“The program helped me clarify every aspect of my business: marketing, messaging, business model, the benefits and methods of customer interviews, funding, etc. All of it was incredibly valuable. My original goal was to have confidence in what to do next (and not do) and this program helped me with that and more.” -Ideation Lab Graduate
Experiential learning The structured, hands-on learning opportunity that will empower you to bring your venture to life!
Innovation tools Utilize innovation tools and approaches like the business model canvas and design thinking
Small class sizes
Small cohorts of dedicated teams maximize opportunity for one-on-one support and collaboration
Build a network of entrepreneurs, experts and advisors to work with you beyond the Ideation Lab program
Successful applicants attend:
- Boot camp intensive – a transformative multi-day deep dive. Work with expert facilitators and industry leaders to delve into the problem you want to solve, determine the viability of your idea, and develop a model to support your vision.
- Ongoing workshops – build and practice the skills needed to move from planning to implementation. Topics include sales, marketing, and more.
- Ongoing advising and mentorship
All Start Up teams receive:
- Online learning modules that support in-class live training sessions
- Access to the ICUBE, and OnRamp facilities, and member perks
- Networking opportunities at UTM and the wider community
- Advisors/mentors from ICUBE
- The opportunity to pitch for cash and prizes
Applications open until May 23rd
“It’s clear that the tools I’ve learned about will help me as my business model continues to evolve. I am eternally grateful for the program and everyone in it.” – Ideation Lab Graduate
Who Should Apply?
You are a strong fit for this program if:
- You have identified a business idea and are in the ideation or early startup phase
- You are open to exploring and changing as you work through the program
- You are ready to commit at least 5 hours a week on your venture
- You are looking for collaborators and advisors
- You are serious about pursuing this idea, or an entrepreneurial idea in the future, and are committed to completing the program
- You are a U of T student, recent alumni, or resident of the Peel region
Equity and Diversity Statement
Ideation Lab’s dedication to promoting diversity in our teams includes a commitment to ensuring every cohort accurately reflects our community, welcoming folks of all gender identities, sexual orientations, races and ages, and actively creating space for marginalized change-makers and under-represented disciplines.
All creators, entrepreneurial thinkers, and leaders are encouraged to apply.
The following qualifications must be met for applicants to be considered for entry:
- Must be one of the following:
- Current University of Toronto student
- Recent alumni (within ~5 years)
- Resident of the Peel region
- Have identified a business idea or problem to solve, and are in the ideation or early start up phase
- Be available for all sessions, and be committed to working on your venture for at least 5 hours weekly
- The business idea must be in alignment with applicable policies and legislation and Ideation Lab’s values
Application Screening Process
All applications will be evaluated against program criteria in the following steps:
- Initial screening by program staff to ensure basic eligibility
- Eligible applications will be reviewed by a panel of internal and external industry experts, and assigned numerical grades
- Grading will be averaged across the judging panel, and the top teams will be offered a place in the program
The panel of reviewers will be provided a rubric to score applications against the following criteria.
- Is the application complete?
- Are all questions answered in detail?
- Novelty and Compelling Nature of the Idea
- Is this an industry that is already well represented in ICUBE?
- Is the idea unique, interesting, and demonstrates potential?
- Will this solution impact lives in a meaningful way?
- Is there a large market for this idea?
- Does the solution address a widespread problem?
- Alignment with Programming
- Is the Ideation Lab program will positioned to address the challenges faced by the entrepreneur?
- Can the Ideation Lab program address the main priorities of the entrepreneur?
- Is the venture at the right stage for this program?
- Attention to accessibility/inclusiveness
- Ideation Lab provides value-based entrepreneurship education. Is this business idea and the founding team attentive accessibility, inclusiveness, and social issues?
- The Entrepreneur
- Does the founding team have the right skills to pursue entrepreneurship at this time?
- Is the founder committed to this program and furthering this idea?
- Does the applicant demonstrate professionalism?
Ideation Lab’s dedication to promoting diversity in our teams includes a commitment to ensuring every cohort accurately reflects our community, welcoming folks of all gender identities, sexual originations, races and ages, and actively creating space for marginalized change-makers and under-represented disciplines